- Preparation time:
- 30 minutes (+ cooling)
- Cooking time:
- 1 hour 10 minutes
- ½ a 375g packet Kataifi pastry, torn into short lengths
- 100g butter, melted
- chopped roasted pistachio nuts, to decorate
- 2 litres milk
- 120g fine semolina
- 60g cornflour dissolved in 2 tbs of the milk
- 110g caster sugar
- 600ml thickened cream
- 220g caster sugar
- 250ml water
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 1 tsp rosewater
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Toss pastry with butter to coat.
- Place half on a baking tray in a thin layer (reserve remaining half to top dessert). Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp, tossing half way through. Cool completely.
- To make custard, whisk all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat until thick. Cool.
- Arrange cooked pastry over base of a baking dish. Pour over cooled custard and top with reserved uncooked pastry.
- Bake until custard is set and pastry is golden and crisp. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make syrup, stir sugar, water and juice in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in orange blossom and rosewater. Cool completely.
- Serve slices of Asmalieh with syrup. Decorate with pistachios.
This recipe has not been tested.