- Preparation time:
- 1 hour (+ resting)
- Cooking time:
- 30 minutes
- Sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried yeast
- 160ml luke warm water
- 500g English spinach, finely chopped
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- 250g feta, crumbled
- 1 tbs sumac
- 1 tbs pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sumac
- 200g punnet grape tomatoes, quartered lengthways
- 1 small red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 12 green olives, quartered lengthways
- 12 black olives, quartered lengthways
- 1 green spring onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves
- To make dough, sift combined flour, salt and yeast into a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix to combine. Replace paddle with a dough hook and knead to form a soft dough.
- Transfer dough into a large oiled bowl. Cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, place spinach in a colander. Lightly sprinkle with salt and toss to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes. Transfer spinach to a large clean tea towel and gather corners to form a ‘bag’. Squeeze out as much excess moisture as possible.
- Transfer spinach to a bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. Season with pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Roll one half out on a lightly floured surface until about 3mm thick. Cut out 10cm rounds.
- Place about a tablespoon of compacted filling into centre of rounds and fold in dough from
- three sides to form a triangular parcel. Pinch edges firmly to seal.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Brush fatayer with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 10. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- 11. To make salad, whisk oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Season. Add remaining ingredients. Toss to
- 12. Serve fatayer with salad.
For a quick version, try using packaged puff pastry.
If you prefer a more mellow onion flavor in the filling, you could cook it off before adding to the spinach mixture.
For a truly authentic dish, use Persian feta.
This recipe has been tested.