- Preparation time:
- 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 30 minutes
- Edible flowers, roasted flaked almonds and crushed pistachios, to decorate
- 60g plain flour
- 60g cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbs milk
- 1 tbs matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, separated
- 220g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) melted butter, at room temperature
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs orange-flavoured liqueur
- 3 egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 1 tbs matcha powder, dissolved in 2 tbs hot water, cooled
- To make sponge, preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 23cm cake pan and line with baking paper, overhanging on two sides.
- Sift combined flours and baking powder into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk milk, matcha powder and vanilla together to combine.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk eggwhite with half the sugar until soft peaks form.
- In a clean mixer, whisk egg yolk with remaining sugar until thickened. Fold egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture. Fold in sifted flour mixture. Fold in butter. Fold in matcha mix.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Stand in pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack. Remove paper and stand to cool completely. Once cool, use a serrated knife to slice sponge horizontally into two sheets.
- To make syrup, place all ingredients with 60ml (¼ cup) water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Cool completely.
- To make filling, using a handheld electric mixer, whisk egg and sugar until thick and creamy. Using a fork, lightly whisk mascarpone. Fold egg yolk mixture into mascarpone in three batches. Fold in cream.
- Divide mixture in half and fold matcha mixture through one half.
- 10. Cut out 12 rounds from sponge, the same size as your ramekins or serving dishes. Brush both sides of each sponge round with syrup.
- 11. Place one round in base of each ramekin or dish and top with a layer of matcha-flavoured filling. Top with another round and a layer of plain mascarpone filling.
- 12. Decorate with edible flowers and nuts to serve.
This recipe has been tested.