- Preparation time:
- 2 hours (+ proving)
- Cooking time:
- 1 hour 20 minutes
- Baby spinach leaves, to serve
BRIOCHE BUNS (makes 12)
- 80ml milk, warmed
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 300g plain flour
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 140g butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- black sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- 125ml red wine
- 100g brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbs water
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs tomato sauce
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tbs white miso
- 1 tbs sake
- 1 tbs mirin
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 tbs light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
SWEET POTATO FRIES
- 1kg small sweet potatoes (we used purple), cut into wedges
- 60ml grapeseed oil
- ½ tsp Cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 300g beef mince
- 300g pork mince
- 2 green spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbs Kecap manis
- To make brioche buns, stir milk, yeast and 1 tablespoon of the sugar in a small bowl to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes or until frothy.
- Sift combined flour, salt and remaining sugar into bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add eggs and yeast mixture.
- Mix on low speed until combined. Mix for a further 10 minutes until smooth and shiny. Transfer dough to a large oiled bowl. Cover with a tea towel bowl and set aside in a warm place to prove for about 1 ½ hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and divide into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Place on a lightly floured oven tray and cover with a tea towel. Set aside in a warm place, for about 1 ½ hours or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Brush buns with beaten egg and sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make sauce, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until thickened. Cool completely.
- To prepare eggplant, whisk all ingredients except eggplant in a large bowl to combine. Add eggplant and toss to coat.
- 10. Arrange mixture in a lightly oiled roasting pan. Roast for about 45 minutes or until soft and caramelised, tossing half way through.
- 11. To cook mushrooms, heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Cook mushrooms until soft. Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring, until liquid has evaporated.
- 12. To make fries, toss all ingredients in a bowl to coat evenly. Arrange on an oven tray in a single layer. Roast for about 20 minutes or until tender and golden brown, turning half way through.
- 13. To make patties, using your hands, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season well. Shape into four patties.
- 14. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties, turning occasionally, until browned all over and cooked through.
- 15. To assemble burgers, spread bun bases with sauce. Layer with patties, mushrooms, eggplant, spinach and bun tops. Serve with sweet potato fries.
You can make the sauce as tangy or as spicy as you like by adding more or less vinegar, sugar or tomato sauce. You could also add some fresh sliced chilli if you like it hot.
This recipe has been tested.