- Preparation time:
- 1 hour
- Cooking time:
- 20 minutes
- 200g Japanese style sushi rice, rinsed
- 300ml water
- 2 tsp sake
- 200g sashimi-grade salmon, thinly sliced
- 1 large firm ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- Black sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- Wasabi paste, to serve
- 150ml Japanese rice vinegar
- 2-3 tbs caster sugar
- pinch salt
- 6cm piece fresh young ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 80ml light soy sauce
- 1 tbs water
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1 Thai red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Yuzu juice (you could also use lemon or lime juice)
- 250ml light olive oil
- To pickle ginger, stir vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves (you can use more or less sugar depending on your taste). Remove from heat and add ginger. Set aside to cool completely.
- To make dipping sauce, stir all ingredients in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- To prepare rice, place rice in a medium saucepan. Stir in the water. Bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the ginger pickling liquid in a cup. Stir in sake.
- Spread rice out onto a tray and evenly sprinkle over pickling liquid and sake mixture. Toss to evenly coat. If you like a more flavoured rice, you can drizzle with extra pickling liquid. Refrigerate until cold.
- To make mayonnaise, process egg yolks, vinegar and yuzu juice in a food processor until well combined. With the motor running, gradually add oil, drop by drop at first, then in a thin, steady stream until thick and emulsified. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until required.
- To assemble, divide rice among four lightly greased moulds (we used a mini bundt pan) and firmly press down to pack rice tightly. Invert onto serving plates and remove mould.
- Top rice with salmon, avocado, pickled ginger, sesame seeds and mayonnaise. Serve with dipping sauce and remaining mayonnaise.
This recipe has been tested.