- Preparation time:
- 1 hour (+4 hours freezing)
- Cooking time:
- 1 hour
- 350ml milk
- 300ml thickened cream
- 20 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), tempered
- 60g almond meal
- 60g icing sugar
- 35g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 50g butter, chopped
HOT CHOC SAUCE
- 75ml thickened cream
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
- To make ice-cream, place milk, cream, mint and vanilla extract in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside for 1 hour to infuse.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt in a bowl until well combined. Reheat milk mixture until and hot and then whisking continuously, gradually add hot milk mixture to yolk mixture and whisk gently to combine. Transfer to a clean saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon; don’t boil mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place in a sink one-third full with iced water and cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Churn in an ice-cream maker until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 4 hours or until very firm.
- To make chocolate balls, working in batches, brush 12 holes of a 7cm silicone hemisphere mould with tempered chocolate. Stand until set, then brush with a second layer of chocolate to create thickness.
- Tap moulds on a work surface to remove air bubbles. Set aside at room temperature to set and harden. Invert mould onto a work surface and tap to release chocolate hemispheres.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make chocolate soil, line an oven tray with baking paper. Process all ingredients in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Spread onto prepared tray in an even, thin layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely.
- To make chocolate sauce, stir cream, peppermint extract and 50ml water in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until smooth and melted.
- Divide soil among serving bowls. Place a chocolate hemisphere in each bowl and fill with a ball of ice-cream. Top with a second hemisphere. Pour over hot sauce to serve.
To temper chocolate, finely chop two-thirds of the chocolate, then chop remaining into 2cm pieces. Place in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn’t touch simmering water) until just melted. Transfer melted chocolate to a second heatproof bowl, then immediately stir in remaining chocolate pieces. If any chocolate pieces remain unmelted, remove them. Place bowl over the pan of simmering water and stir until just liquefied.
This recipe has been tested.