- Preparation time:
- 1 hour
- Cooking time:
- 3 hours
- 2 oranges, cut into 5mm slices
- 250g caster sugar
- 300ml water
- 1kg Greek yoghurt
- 200g caster sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 large oranges (450g)
- 200g butter
- 330g raw caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 3 eggs
- 350g self-raising flour
- 100g raisins
- Preheat oven to 100C.
- To prepare candied oranges, bring a large saucepan of water to a simmer. Add orange slices for 30 seconds. Drain and repeat.
- Stir sugar and water in a large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add oranges. Simmer for 10 minutes. Drain. Arrange orange slices in a single layer on a wire rack on a baking tray.
- Transfer to the oven for 2 hours.
- To make sorbet, whisk all ingredients in a bowl until sugar has fully dissolved and mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturers instructions.
- Increase oven to 180C. Grease 12 holes of a loose based dessert pan.
- To make the cake, finely grate the zest of both oranges and place in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Using a sharp knife, cut away and discard peel. Cut peeled orange into quarters and remove any seeds and core. Place flesh in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- 10. Place butter, sugar and vanilla seeds in mixer bowl with zest. Whisk until pale and creamy. With motor operating, add eggs one at a time, whisking until combined into. Add orange puree and whisk to combine. Fold in flour and raisins.
- 11. Divide mixture among prepared pan holes.
- 12. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- 13. Serve cakes warm with candied oranges and sorbet.
This cake would also be great served with an orange syrup. Simply stir 200g of caster sugar, 200g orange juice, 60ml water and the finely grated zest of 1 orange in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until thickened.
Orange cakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to two days.
This recipe has been tested.