- Preparation time:
- 1 hour
- Cooking time:
- 40 minutes
- 1kg potatoes
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 4 x 200g fillets barramundi
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Dill, to garnish
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 250ml light olive oil
- 2 tbs finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbs finely chopped cornichons
- 2 tsp finely chopped baby capers
- 150g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 250ml chilled pale ale beer
- To make tartare sauce, process yolks, juice and mustard until smooth. With motor operating, drizzle in oil until mixture is thick. Stir in remaining ingredients. Season.
- Line a tray with absorbent paper.
- To make fries, cut potatoes into thick matchsticks and spread out on prepared tray. Pat dry with absorbent paper.
- Deep fry in small batches until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season with salt.
- To make batter, sift flour, salt and pepper into a bowl. Whisk in beer to form a smooth batter.
- Working in batches, dip fish into batter and deep fry until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper and season with salt.
- Serve fish and fries with sauce and lemon wedges. Garnish with dill.
For an extra flavour hit, try making a flavoured salt. Grind salt flakes with some grated lemon zest and a little fresh dill or chilli flakes.
If you love the crunch of the batter, try cutting fish into smaller chunks and battering each piece.
This recipe has been tested.