- Preparation time:
- 1 hour
- Cooking time:
- 4 hours
- 1.5kg rack lamb ribs, trimmed, flap on
- 1kg kipfler potatoes
- 4 tbs olive oil
- Salt, to season
- 4 tbs duck fat, melted
- 12 small sprouts, trimmed, halved
- 4 bacon rashers, chopped
- 2 tbs black peppercorns
- 1 tbs brown mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbs dried granulated garlic
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tbs coarse salt
- 1kg parsnips, chopped
- 50g macadamias, chopped
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 2 tbs horseradish cream
- 300ml thickened cream
- 50g butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Soak 4 cups of smoking chips in water for 30 minutes.
- To make spice rub, dry fry peppercorns and seeds until fragrant and toasted. Using a mortar and pestle, grind spices with remaining ingredients. Rub mixture over ribs.
- Preheat a barbecue grill over high heat. Drain smoking chips and add to barbecue in a smoking box or onto coals. Once smoking, reduce temperature to 135C.
- Place ribs in barbecue with lid down and on indirect heat and cook, turning every 30 minutes, for 2½ hours.
- Transfer ribs to direct heat and cook for a further 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a warm plate and stand, lightly covered with foil, for 10 minutes to rest. Thickly slice.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place potatoes on an oven tray. Drizzle with half the oil and season with salt. Roast for 45 minutes or until tender. Lightly crush and drizzle with duck fat. Return to oven and roast for a further 20 minutes or until crisp.
- To make puré, place parsnips, macadamias and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until softened. Drain, reserving milk. Transfer parsnips and macadamias to a blender with remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Add enough reserved milk until a smooth puré forms. Season.
- Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add sprouts and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Season with salt. Add bacon and cook, stirring, for a further 2-3 minutes or until crisp.
- 10. Divide ribs, potatoes, puré and sprouts among serving plates to serve.
This recipe has been tested.