- Preparation time:
- 1 hour (+ 4 hours freezing)
- Cooking time:
- 20 minutes
- Fresh berries, to serve
- 350ml milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 8 egg yolks
- 250g caster sugar
- 300ml thickened cream
- 200g fresh or frozen raspberries
- 100g fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 10g caster sugar
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- 200g dark chocolate
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- To make ice-cream, place milk, salt, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil. Whisk egg yolks in a bowl until well combined, then whisking continuously, gradually add hot milk mixture to yolk mixture and whisk gently to combine.
- Stir sugar and 2 tbs water in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until melted. Cook until a dark amber colour. Gradually stir in cream until lumps of caramel dissolve and mixture is smooth and combined. Whisk in milk and egg mixture.
- Transfer to a clean saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon; don’t boil mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place in a sink one-third full with iced water and cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Churn in an ice-cream maker until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 4 hours or until very firm.
- To make coulis, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until soft. Pass through a fine sieve and refrigerate until cold.
- To make fondants, preheat oven to 200C. Lightly grease eight ramekins and dust with cocoa powder.
- Fill a small saucepan one-third full with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Place the chocolate and butter in a small heatproof bowl, place over pan and stir until chocolate has melted (don’t let the bowl touch the water).
- Using an electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs and egg yolks until thick and creamy. Stir in chocolate mixture. Fold in combined sifted flour and cocoa. Divide mixture among prepared ramekins.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until just set. Stand for 1 minute, then turn out onto serving plates.
- Add a scoop of ice-cream, then spoon over coulis. Top with berries to serve.
This recipe has been tested.