- Preparation time:
- 30 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 2 hours 10 minutes
- 800g chicken tenderloins
- Sliced cucumber and kecap manis, to serve
- Sliced green spring onions, to garnish
- 1kg pork bones
- 1kg chicken bones or wings
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 bunch green spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tbs shaoxing wine
- 3 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 litres water
- 3 tbs peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 400g jasmine rice, washed
- 1 tsp salt
- 550ml broth (see above)
GINGER & SPRING ONION DIPPING SAUCE
- 6 green spring onions (lower half only), thinly sliced
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- ¼ tsp salt
- 60ml peanut oil
CHILLI GARLIC DIPPING SAUCE
- 6 long red chillies, finely chopped
- 1cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- To make broth, place all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, skimming any impurities that rise to the surface. Simmer for about 1 ½ - 2 hours or until reduced by half.
- Cool slightly then strain through a colander lined with muslin. Discard solids.
- To cook rice, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook garlic and ginger until soft. Add rice and salt. Stir to coat. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about for 15 minutes or until the broth has been absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes without lifting the lid. Fluff grains with a fork.
- To make ginger and spring onion sauce, combine onions, ginger and salt in a small bowl. Heat oil in a small saucepan until smoking. Pour over onion mixture (be careful as it will spit). Stir to combine.
- To make chilli garlic sauce, process all ingredients until smooth.
- To cook chicken, bring remaining broth to a boil. Add chicken and remove pan from heat. Stand, covered, for about 5-8 minutes or until chicken is cooked (if it requires further cooking, simply return to the heat for a few minutes). Remove poached chicken and drain on absorbent paper. Arrange on serving plates.
- Serve chicken and rice with sauces, cucumber and kecap manis. Garnish with spring onions.
Kecap manis is a sweet thick Indonesian soy sauce.
This recipe has been tested.