- Preparation time:
- 40 mins
- Cooking time:
- 10 mins
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 20g wild black rice
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 500ml (2 cups) white wine vinegar
- 1 tbs peppercorns
- 1 tbs mustard seeds
- 1 tbs coriander seeds
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 baby radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 limes, zested, juiced
- _ bunch coriander, leaves picked, stems finely chopped
- 2cm-piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 fresh jalapeño, finely chopped
- 400g sashimi-grade tuna, cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 2 avocados, flesh scooped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 egg yolks
- _ lemon, juiced
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 tbs wasabi paste
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- To make pickled vegetables, place all ingredients, except onion and radish, in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Place onion and radish in a bowl, then strain liquid on top. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate until required.
- To make ceviche, combine all ingredients, except tuna, in a bowl and set aside.
- To make avocado puré, blend avocado and lemon juice until smooth. Season.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Deep-fry rice for 20 seconds or until puffed. Pour through a sieve to drain. Season.
- To make mayonnaise, process egg yolks, juice and vinegar in a food processor until well combined. With the motor running, gradually add oil, drop by drop at first, then in a thin, steady stream until thick and emulsified. Stir in wasabi and mustard. Season.
- Add tuna to ceviche mixture and toss to combine.
- Divide puré among serving plates and top with tuna, vegetables and cucumber. Scatter with puffed rice and dot with mayo to serve.
This recipe has been tested.