- Preparation time:
- 1 hour + freezing
- Cooking time:
- 45 mins
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 500ml warm milk
- 1 tbs matcha green tea powder
VANILLA ICE CREAM
- 250ml thickened cream
- 125ml milk 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 3 egg yolks
- 75g caster sugar
GREEN TEA CREAM FILLING
- 60g matcha green tea powder
- 30ml water
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 ¼ tsp dry yeast
- 125ml warm water
- 60g caster sugar
- 60ml evaporated milk, warmed
- ½ tsp salt
- 60ml melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ vanilla extract
- 625g plain flour
- 100ml thickened cream
- 150g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- To make ice-cream, stir cream, milk, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Slowly add hot cream mixture, whisking continuously. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over a low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain. Cool. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- To make green tea cream filling, dissolve matcha in the water.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk cream and matcha mixture to form firm peaks. Refrigerate until required.
- To make donuts, whisk yeast, warm water and sugar in a bowl to combine. Set aside in a warm place for about 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Transfer mixture to bow of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk. Whisk in all remaining ingredients, except flour. Replace whisk with a dough hook. Add flour and mix to form a soft dough.
- Set bowl aside in a warm place for about 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- Punch dough down and roll out on a lightly floured surface until 2cm thick. Cut out 7cm rounds.
- Deep fry rounds in batches until donuts are golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- To make glaze, bring cream to a boil. Pour over chocolate in a bowl. Stir until smooth and melted.
- 10. Pipe filling into donuts then place on a wire rack over a tray. Pour over glaze. Dust with sifted matcha powder.
- 11. To make affogato, whisk warm milk and matcha together. Place a ball of ice cream in each serving glass and top with warm matcha milk.
- 12. Serve glazed donuts with affogato.
This recipe has not been tested.