- Preparation time:
- 2 hours
- Cooking time:
- 50 mins
- Finely grated and shaved black truffle, to garnish
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- 1 tbs powdered yeast
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 600g (4 cups) bread flour, plus extra, to dust
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 medium cauliflowers, broken into florets
- 1.25L (5 cups) vegetable stock
- 125ml (½ cup) thickened cream
- To make bread, whisk yeast, sugar and 435ml (1¾ cups) warm water in a bowl until combined. Set aside in warm place for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl, then add oil and yeast mixture. Using your hands, mix until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10-15 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size. Punch down dough, then turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth.
- Shape dough into two loaves. Place on a greased baking tray and score top with a knife. Cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise.
- Meanwhile, to make soup, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Stir in nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add cauliflower and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Blend, in batches, until smooth. Stir in cream, then season.
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Bake bread for 30 minutes or until crisp and golden and base sounds hollow when tapped.
- Divide soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle over truffle and drizzle oil on top. Serve with crusty bread to the side.
This recipe has been tested.