- Preparation time:
- 1 hour
- Cooking time:
- 40 mins
- 8 garfish, scaled, butterflied
- plain flour, to dust
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 8 large mussels
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 ripe vine tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 tbs baby capers
- 125ml (½ cup) white wine
- ½ cup chopped basil
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan
- 2 medium vine tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped garfish flesh
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 garfish fillet, finely chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil, approximately
- To make sauce, heat oil in a large deep frying pan. Cook onion and chilli until very soft. Add garlic, tomatoes, capers and wine. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until thickened. Season well. Stir in basil.
- To make stuffing, combine all ingredients except oil in a bowl. Add enough oil to bring mixture together and give a ‘crumble’ texture.
- Lay garfish, skin-side down, on the bench. Divide filling among garfish. Roll to enclose, securing with two toothpicks. Dust in seasoned flour.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook garfish for 1 minute, turning, until golden brown (you only want to crisp and colour the fish, not cook it through). Add to tomato sauce in a single layer, along with mussels. Cook covered for about 5-8 minutes or until fish is cooked through and mussels are open.
- Serve stuffed garfish with mussels and sauce.
• If you prefer a less spicy sauce, deseed chilli in sauce.
• Order your butterflied garfish from your fishmonger in advance. If unavailable, you could try using whiting or flathead.
• Tomato sauce can be made up to two days in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
• For a great garnish, finish with some fresh basil leaves and thinly sliced chilli.
For more sensational seafood recipes, visit Yahoo!7 Food