- Preparation time:
- 1 hour
- Cooking time:
- 2 hours 30 mins
- MKR Tested
- Fresh horseradish, peeled and grated, to serve
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ½ onion, skin-on, chopped
- ½ small celeriac, peeled, chopped
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1kg young lean boneless pork belly, skin-on
- 4 Kestrel potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm-thick discs
- 2 medium carrots, cut into julienne
- 1 small leek, cut into julienne
- ½ small celeriac, cut into julienne
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- This is a delicately flavoured dish with a light broth, given a kick of heat from the fresh horseradish.
- Kestrel potatoes have white skin and a fluffy, creamy flesh. To achieve even shaped potato discs, we cut 1cm-thick slices from our potatoes and then cut discs with a metal cookie cutter.
- Fresh horseradish is a root from the mustard family with a zingy hot flavour. It is available all year round. Peel before grating.
- To prepare pork, place all ingredients except pork in a large saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Add pork. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 ½ -2 hours or until pork is very tender. Remove pork and transfer to a medium saucepan. Strain over enough broth to cover. Simmer, covered, until required.
- To cook vegetables, strain remaining cooking broth into another saucepan. Add potatoes. Simmer, covered, until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon. Set aside and cover to keep warm. Add carrots to same saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add remaining vegtables. Simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove pork from broth. Remove and discard skin. Slice meat thickly.
- To serve, divide potato discs among serving dishes. Arrange pork over potatoes. Top with julienned vegetables. Spoon over broth. Top with fresh horseradish.