2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
2 brown onions medium (finely diced)
3 red capsicums (finely dice)
5 ripe tomatoes (small dice)
1 tsp thyme
3 bay leavesFideua:
Olive oil to fry
1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
2 tbls of soffrito
1 cup of macaroni
Small pinch of saffron
100g fresh calamari (cleaned and sliced into strips)
200g of fresh live mussels
1lt of dark fish stock
2 tsp of chopped parsley
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Lemon wedges to garnish
Method - Soffrito:
- Sweat down onions garlic and aromats until soft and golden
- Add capsicums and cook down until soft
- Add tomatoes and cook mixture down until vegetables are dark red, caramelised and a thick sauce consistency.
Method - Fideua:
- Take a heavy based perol (pan, non stick) and add a generous amount of olive oil
- Heat over a medium heat until it begins to shimmer
- Add calamari and fry off until light golden colour.
- Remove calamari and add garlic and saffron.
- Once a little colour is achieved on the garlic add soffrito and macaroni.
- Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add two thirds of the fish stock and bring to the boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and after 5 mins add calamari back in along with the mussels.
- Continue cooking until mussels have opened and pasta is cooked.
- If necessary add reserved fish stock to cook the pasta and mussels if too dry
- To finish sprinkle a generous handful of parsley and season to taste.
- Serve onto a large plate with lemon wedge