Toffee lace, to serve
Crumble2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs finely grated lemon zest
Fruit Filling4 large or 6 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, core removed, cut into 2cm pieces
300g fresh or frozen raspberries and blackberries
Custard300ml thickened cream
• To make toffee lace, line a heatproof tray with baking paper. Stir ½ cup caster sugar and 2 tbs water in a small heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Using a wet pastry brush, brush any stray grains on side of pan back down into mixture. Bring to a boil, then boil, uncovered and without stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture turns golden brown. Remove from heat. Using a fork, drizzle toffee onto tray to form shapes. Allow to set.
• Try using blueberries in place of raspberries and/or blackberries.
• For extra crunch, try crisping the crumble before adding to fruit. Spread out in a single layer on a baking tray and bake at 180C for 5 minutes or until light golden. Cool completely before sprinkling over fruit and baking for a second time.
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. To make crumble, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Add butter. Using your fingertips, rub in butter to form crumbs. Stir in remaining ingredients until combined.
3. To make fruit filling, put apple, water and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until apples are almost tender. Stir in berries.
4. Divide fruit mixture among four ovenproof dishes. Top with crumble.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
6. Meanwhile, to make custard, put cream, milk, vanilla bean and seeds in a heavy-based saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, for 10-12 minutes or until almost boiling. Set aside for 10 minutes. Remove vanilla bean. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale. Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into yolk mixture. Return mixture to a clean pan. Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.7. Decorate crumbles with extra berries and serve with custard.
A delicious savoury breakfast. Drizzle over with honey for added sweetness.